The College's Transition to Co-education

Vassar exchange students play cards outside of Doughty House. (Photo courtesy of Special Collections.)

The College only officially became a coeducational institution in the 1960s, though it allowed women to enroll in classes from time to time. The College officially opened its doors in 1793 with an undergraduate population of eighteen male students, but it would not confer a degree to a woman until Beatrice Wasserscheid graduated almost 140 years later. Read more in the Williams Record.