from the kitchen of Williams College
- 1 pkg. Devil's Food Cake or Dark Chocolate Fudge
- 1 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 can evaporated milk, divided
- 1/2 cup (or 3/4 cup) butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 11 oz. caramels, unwrapped
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350°. Melt butter in the microwave in a glass bowl.
In a large mixture bowl, combine dry cake mix, nuts (optional), 1/3 cup evaporated milk, and melted butter.
Press half of the batter into the bottom of a greased 13x9x2 inch glass baking dish. (It is really stiff batter, so consider putting wax paper on top and push down hard). Bake for eight minutes.
In the microwave or on top of a double boiler, melt caramels with the remaining 1/2 cup of evaporated milk. Add a tablespoon of vanilla to the caramel mixture.
When caramel mixture is well mixed, pour over the baked layer. Cover with chocolate chips and pour remaining batter on top of morsels.
Return to oven and bake 18 minutes (or less if you like them gooier brownies). Cool for about an hour before cutting and serving.
Jessica Walthew '09